New updates are added at the bottom of this story …….
The original story (published June 12, 2021) follows:
The inclusion of lossless audio and spatial audio with Dolby takes the music experience on Apple Music to a whole new level.
Not only does this improve the music experience, it also brings Apple Music closer to Spotify, and in fact, better than Spotify, at least for Apple users.
There is only one flaw, but being big enough is easily obvious. These features frequently disappear and sometimes are even completely discontinued for users.
We recently reported how Apple Music was unable to play Spatial Audio and Dolby Atmos music. And now we have problems with lossless audio.
Several Apple Music subscribers claim Lossless Audio continues to freeze for them, followed by static / crackling sound.
iPhone 11 latest iOS, all downloaded lossless songs (data for music is disabled) stop playing just after 15 seconds. In wifi, no problem. Lossless songs aren’t a problem either. Only with lossless songs that are downloaded to the phone.
From what is reported, this issue seems to only affect cellular data and for downloaded lossless songs, works fine over WiFi.
When cellular data is turned off, the song immediately freezes at exactly the 15 second mark, then skips to the next track.
Some users who had to put in the effort of resetting, uninstalling the app, forcing the app to stop and restarting, had no luck either.
This problem of blocking lossless audio tracks on Apple Music keeps reappearing, suggesting that it could be a bigger issue at the backend level.
A user found a temporary workaround that appears to have worked for him. Here is what it did and is worth a try.
There are a lot of things that need to be fixed with these new features. Stumbling across new bugs every morning only suggests that Apple has introduced these half-baked features to subscribers.
The list is growing and Apple needs to resolve this issue quickly before users start to unsubscribe from Apple Music subscription.
That said, we will continue to track this issue and many more like it and keep you posted as soon as we have anything significant.
Update 1 (July 16)
Apple recently ditched the iOS 14.7 update, and the release notes suggest that they fixed audio issues with Lossless and Dolby Atmos tracks in Apple Music.
– MagSafe battery support for iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
– Apple Card Family adds the ability to combine credit limits and share a condominium account with an existing Apple Card user
– Home app adds the ability to manage timers on HomePod
– Air quality information is now available in Weather and Maps for Canada, France, Italy, Netherlands, South Korea and Spain
– Podcast library allows you to choose to see all shows or only watched shows
– Missing sharing playlist menu option in Apple Music
– Dolby Atmos and Apple Music lossless audio playback may stop unexpectedly
– Battery service message which may disappeared after restart on some iPhone 11 models is restored
– Braille screens may display invalid information when composing email messages
A few users have also reported it on the Apple community forums.
Wait until iOS 14.7. The notes indicate that it fixes the unexpected stopping of the music in Atmos and Lossless. It’s almost time. (Source)
To note: We have more such stories in our dedicated Apple section, so be sure to follow them as well.
PiunikaWeb started out as an investigative tech journalism website, focusing primarily on “breaking” or “exclusive” news. In no time at all, our stories were picked up by Forbes, Foxnews, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, Engadget, The Verge, Macrumors and many more. Do you want to know more about us? Head here.