Status: Full time
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Lookout Santa Cruz is looking for a detail-oriented and creative Digital Producer and Storyteller to join our dynamic team. The producer will work with our editorial and sales teams to fulfill Lookout’s mission: to develop a new model of local news and information for the 2020s that enriches audiences, strengthens community and generates revenue. The goal: to create the best possible user experience on the site and help tell stories in a creative and engaging way that are only possible in a digital landscape.
The producer is focusing on three key results:
- Owns the daily maintenance and programming of the Lookout Santa Cruz website through the Graphene content management system, ensuring that the site is functioning properly and is optimized for the best user experience. Owns the day-to-day management of third-party vendors.
- Work side by side with editorial staff to help produce data visualizations and use interactive tools such as Infogram, Second Street, KnightLab and others to strengthen and distinguish Lookout storytelling.
- Collaborates with the revenue team to create a high quality user experience on content marketing stories, civic and marketing partner pages, and interactive mods that wow customers.
This versatile role requires attention to detail and creativity, with an emphasis on digital storytelling optimized for mobile and desktop use. The successful candidate builds on Lookout’s editorial mission and intention to use interactive tools to make modern, explanatory storytelling. We are counting on you to roll up your sleeves to fully advance an entrepreneurial and fast-growing start-up environment.
What you will do
The goal of the digital producer and storyteller is to blackmail the Lookout Santa Cruz website, ensuring that the website and content is visually dynamic and optimized for a good digital user experience.
- Works daily with the editorial team and collaborates with correspondents to create data visualizations and guide them in using interactive tools that facilitate daily storytelling through tools like Infogram, KnightLab, Second Street and more.
- Presents and creates quizzes, story maps, interactive timelines, games and other engaging interactive content that help go beyond the headlines and provide users with context and depth.
- Comfortable digging into thick data sets to distill and display important contextual information in a digestible way for easy storytelling.
- Provide technical support during virtual and live events and help record, cut and download event videos on our YouTube channel and on site. Is comfortable with audio and video editing when required.
- Collaborates with the revenue team to create high quality user experience on interactive articles, pages and modules to help showcase marketing partners, civic partners / groups and promoted content.
- Help the revenue team create and send promotional and marketing material to our robust mailing list and segmented audiences.
- Owns the management, maintenance and day-to-day programming of the Lookout Santa Cruz website through the Graphene CMS. Tasks will include, but are not limited to, creating promotional pages, sections and modules.
- Help manage third-party vendors, including Lookout’s event calendar, real estate modules, newsletter services and more.
- Help shape Lookout’s product roadmap and assess and research new third-party services and technology partners, keeping Lookout’s core mission in mind.
Minimum qualifications and experience
- A bachelor’s degree with at least 3 years of relevant experience as a digital producer, web developer or digital storyteller in an information operation or related field.
- A demonstrated ability to create fast, high-quality infographics and interactive elements to take traditional storytelling to the next level.
- Experience using content management systems like Arc, WordPress, WCM, Lakana or others. Experience managing a website’s backend systems and understanding of coding is a plus.
- Superior creative, organizational and communication skills with a focus on Lookout’s mission of reader-centric journalism and optimized user experience.
Benefits and application
The digital producer and producer is a full-time employee of Lookout Local. We offer competitive benefits.
Lookout Local is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. .
Please apply, with cover letter, CV to [email protected].