Communication is one of the most crucial aspects of Fortnite and can change the outcome of intense matches. So when Fortnite’s voice chat doesn’t seem to be working, it can really hamper your chances of coordinating your teammates and achieving victory.
If you’re being mute, here are all the solutions to try if your Fortnite voice chat isn’t working.
1. Try to perform basic repairs
Before trying the technical solutions, make sure to restart the game at least once. Voice chat may become unresponsive due to a temporary issue. To resolve this issue, consider restarting the game.
Make sure your game volume is set to 50% or higher. If the voice chat volume is too low, you’ll have trouble hearing your teammates.
Weak internet connection can also be a major reason for the problem. So make sure you are connected to a stable and fast connection. You can check your connection stability and speed by visiting internet speed check websites.
Fortnite has a dedicated Trello board containing information on all ongoing issues with the game. The board is regularly updated by the Fortnite community with the latest issues and their respective solutions.
So visit the Fortnite Trello Board to get more information about various in-game issues including the voice chat issue.
3. Check for ongoing server outages
Fortnite is an online multiplayer game, and as such, its servers run into issues from time to time. Sometimes it affects the whole game, and sometimes only a few features are affected.
So, whenever Fortnite voice chat becomes unresponsive, visit the Epic Games Server Status Page to ensure that all systems are operational. Expand the Fortnite category and check the Voice chat server status. If the server status is not “Operational”, something has gone wrong on Epic Games side and there is not much you can do but wait for it to be fixed.
4. Make sure everyone is in the same voice chat channel
You can use two channels in Fortnite: party chain and game channel, each with their own advantages. The Party Channel helps connect players who are at the same party. The Game Channel, on the other hand, helps connect players who are in different games but on the same team.
You must be in the correct voice chat channel to communicate with your teammates. For example, if your teammates are on the game channel and you are on the party channel, you won’t be able to communicate with them.
So switch channels using the social menu to start communicating with your teammates.
5. Change parental control settings
Fortnite offers parental controls to ensure game settings are perfect for your family. If this feature is enabled, you will not be able to use voice chat in-game.
As a workaround, make sure voice chat is enabled in Parental Controls settings. Here are the steps to follow:
- Launch Fortnite and click on the Hamburger option in the upper left corner.
- Click on the Gear icon and choose Parental control from the context menu.
- Enter the 6-digit Parental Control PIN and click Next.
- To change Voice chat at Everybody.
- Click on To safeguard.
That’s it. Now restart the game and check whether you can use the voice chat feature or not.
6. Enable Voice Chat in Fortnite Settings
Fortnite has a direct option to enable and disable voice chat. If disabled, you want to be able to use the feature in-game.
So make sure voice chat is enabled in Fortnite settings. You can check it by following the instructions below.
- Click on the Hamburger and select the Equipment icon.
- Click on Settings.
- Go to audio menu.
- Ensure that Voice chat is set to Everybody.
- You can also change the Voice chat method at Open mic so your teammates can hear you at all times.
7. Check system settings
The next thing you need to check when troubleshooting Fortnite voice chat is the system audio settings. If the output and input device settings are set to the wrong device, you won’t be able to communicate with your teammates.
So make sure the audio settings are using the correct input and output device. You can check it by following the instructions below:
- Open the Control Panel using one of the many ways to open Control Panel.
- Change the Seen by at Big Icons.
- Click on Sound.
- In the Proofreading tab, select the output device you want to use as default, right-click and choose the Set as default device option.
- Go to Registration select the input device you want to use as default, right click and choose Set as default device.
- Click on Apply > OKAY.
8. Allow Fortnite to access the microphone
If Fortnite cannot access the system microphone, then you will most likely face the problem. To resolve this issue, allow Fortnite to access the microphone. Here’s how:
- Open the Settings menu using the Win + I keyboard shortcuts.
- Picking out Privacy and Security from the left pane.
- In the App permissionsChoose Microphone.
- Locate Fortnite and enable the toggle next to it.
Then launch the game again and check whether you can use the voice chat feature or not. Otherwise, try the next solution on the list.
9. Download the latest game updates
Fortnite regularly receives updates to fix bugs, add features, and more. If the voice chat problem is caused by a bug in the game, downloading the latest update might prove to be an effective solution.
You can download and install the latest Fortnite update by following the steps below.
- Open the Epic Games Launcher, click on your profile and choose Settings.
- Click on Fortnite and tick Fortnite auto-update from the context menu.
Epic Games Launcher will download and install any available update for Fortnite on next launch.
Use voice chat in Fortnite with ease
You should now be able to use voice chat in Fortnite without any issues. However, if all else fails, you can try reinstalling the game as a last resort.