Microsoft Edge has won over many users with its frequent feature updates and tight integration of Microsoft’s design language with that of macOS. Underlining its commitment to continue raising the bar for the Chromium-based browser, the company today updated its feature roadmap to reflect what will happen to Edge in the future.
Microsoft “And afterThe page for Edge appears as a checklist that its in-house developers work from, and as such, some newly listed features like tab groups (coming this month) and the ability to hide title bar (September 2021), have been made known.However, several previously unknown features have been revealed, and one enterprising Reddit user has collated new additions to the page, reproduced below.
- Free-form text boxes added to PDF documents: Starting in version 94, we are adding support for free form text boxes to PDF documents that you can use to fill out forms and add visible notes.
- Launch PWA instead of the browser with URL links: Starting with Microsoft Edge version 97, you can choose to launch the browser in a PWA rather than the full native browser.
- Tab groups: The ability to categorize tabs into user-defined groups helps you find, change, and manage tabs across multiple workflows more efficiently. To enable this, we enable tab grouping from Microsoft Edge version 93.
- Support for citations added to collections: Starting with Microsoft Edge version 95, we’ve improved the Collections experience, especially for students and researchers. Collections will begin to support quotes and playlists.
- New policy to support more flexibility when starting Microsoft Edge: Starting with Microsoft Edge version 94, business admins will have more flexibility in the options they choose in their startup strategy. This will include the ability to specify the start page, add / remove additional pages, and continue where you left off, while ensuring that the page set specified by the policy is also open.
- Picture-in-Picture (PiP) from the hover toolbar: Starting with Edge version 93, it will become even easier to enter Picture-in-Picture (PiP) mode. When you hover over a supported video, a toolbar appears for you to view that video in a PiP window.
- Free-form highlighting on PDFs: Starting with Microsoft Edge version 94, the PDF viewing and markup experience will be improved with the addition of free-form highlighters. This will allow you to highlight sections of PDFs that you may not have access to for commenting as well as scanned documents.
- The web application notification appears as coming from the PWA: Starting with Microsoft Edge version 94, notifications for progressive web app PWAs will no longer show as coming from Microsoft Edge, but instead show the name of the web app.
- Hide the title bar when using vertical tabs: Recover the few additional pixels by hiding the title bar of the browser, in the vertical tabs. From Microsoft Edge version 93, you can navigate to edge: // settings / appearance and under the Customize Toolbar section, select the option to hide the title bar in Vertical Tab mode.
- Machine translation for unknown languages: Starting with Microsoft Edge version 94, when you access a page that displays in a language other than the one you have configured as known, Microsoft Edge will automatically translate the content of the page into your primary language. We will then give you the option to return to the original page or to deactivate other automatic translations.
- Initial preferences in Microsoft Edge: Deploying Microsoft Edge in your business will become easier starting with version 93, with the addition of initial preferences.
- Improved transfer between IE mode and modern browser: Starting with Microsoft Edge version 95, the transition between the modern browser experience and the IE mode experience will improve. Referrer headers, post data, form data, and request methods will now transfer correctly between the two experiences.
- Control Flow Application Technology (CTE): Microsoft Edge will begin to support an even more secure browsing mode that uses hardware-dependent control flow for browser processes on supported hardware (Intel 11th Gen or AMD Zen 3). You can disable CET by manipulating Image File Execution (IFEO) options using Group Policy.
- Family safety: improved protection on sites such as youtube.com: Families using Microsoft Family Safety will soon see improvements to content filters. Parents will also have more peace of mind knowing that the filter settings for allowed sites and blocked sites will be improved for sites such as youtube.com to prevent children from browsing to unauthorized videos.
- Family safety: authorize many EDU sites with one click: Families using Microsoft Family Safety will soon see improvements to content filters. When using the “Use only authorized websites” mode, parents will see an option to add a list of educational sites to the allow list with one click.
Earlier this year, Microsoft released a Kids Mode for Edge that lets kids experience the web in a fun way while limiting their access to only approved sites. Before that, Microsoft brought vertical tabs to Mac, sleep tabs, a password generator, new visual themes, and more.
The browser can be downloaded from Microsoft Edge website. Are you an Edge fan? Let us know in the comments.
(Going through XDA-Developers.)