Yubico launched YubiKey Bio Series, the first YubiKey series that supports fingerprint recognition for secure password-less and second-factor logins. Designed for biometric authentication on desktops, the YubiKey Bio series supports modern FIDO2 / WebAuthn and U2F protocols, in both USB-A and USB-C form factors.
The YubiKey Bio is available for purchase at a retail price of $ 80 for the USB-A form factor and $ 85 for the USB-C form factor. Premium level YubiEnterprise subscription customers can also experience YubiKey upgrades to YubiKey Bio.
In keeping with Yubico’s innovation and design philosophy, the YubiKey Bio does not require any batteries, drivers, or associated software. The new security keys integrate with native biometric enrollment and management features supported in the latest platforms and operating systems. Once a YubiKey Bio is set up, users will benefit from a secure, second-factor, password-less login for FIDO-supported desktop services and applications.
The YubiKey Bio series reinvents biometric authentication on a security key. Its three-chip architecture allows biometric fingerprint material to be stored in a separate secure element that provides enhanced protection against physical attacks. YubiKey Bio acts as a single, reliable, hardware-backed root of trust that allows the user to authenticate with the same key across multiple desktop devices, operating systems, and applications.
“With the launch of the YubiKey Bio series, we are proud to raise the level of biometric security keys, enabling simple and strong password-less authentication for our corporate clients and daily YubiKey users,” said Stina Ehrensvärd , CEO and co-founder of Yubico.
The YubiKey Bio enables biometric login on the desktop with all applications and services supporting FIDO protocols and works immediately with Citrix Workspace, Duo, GitHub, IBM Security Verify, Microsoft Azure Active Directory and Microsoft 365, Okta and Ping Identity. With the growing adoption of modern authentication, Yubico continues to work closely with its ecosystem of partners to encourage support for biometric authentication as detailed in the WebAuthn and FIDO2 specifications.
The main capabilities of the YubiKey Bio series include:
- Meets the most stringent hardware security key requirements with fingerprint templates stored in a separate secure element on the YubiKey Bio.
- Supports FIDO2 / WebAuthn and FIDO U2F, based on Yubico’s invention that allows a single authenticator to work on any number of applications, with the highest level of security and without sharing any information between services .
- Works on desktop platforms that support WebAuthn such as Windows, macOS, Chrome OS, and Linux and browsers such as Edge and Chrome, as well as other Chromium-based browsers.
- Available as USB-A and USB-C in Yubico’s signature slim and durable keychain design.
- Offers portability that allows users to switch devices, connect to shared desktops, and also support mobile-restricted environments.
- Allows the use of the security key PIN code for scenarios where biometrics cannot be used.
- Supported by the Yubico Authenticator for Desktop app on Windows, macOS, and Linux to enroll new fingerprints, add or remove fingerprints when native platform and browser capabilities are limited.
For customers looking for more form factors, protocols, and NFC support, they can benefit from a YubiKey 5 series instead of the YubiKey Bio. To determine the best key for your needs, take this quiz.
“Authentication with the combined solution of the Duo platform and the YubiKey has always been remarkably easy and fast. Biometrics play an important role in any company’s strategy to go without a password, and we have extensively tested the YubiKey Bio with Duo’s next solution, with great results. We’re excited to provide customers with a simpler, faster and more convenient way to protect themselves against phishing and other access threats, ”said Chris Demundo, Senior Product Manager, Authentication, Duo Security.
“Our main research indicates that reducing end-user access frictions leads to a dramatic increase in security effectiveness. The YubiKey Bio achieves both goals simultaneously to help organizations adopt a Zero Trust posture while improving the user experience, ”said Steve Brasen, Research Director, Enterprise Management Associates.
“Continuing their remarkable journey to protect digital identities and customer demand for multi-factor authentication under a zero trust model, Yubico’s latest tamper-proof hardware, YubiKey Bio, for biometric authentication and verification,” arrived – just in time, ”said Carla Roncato, Senior Analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group.